I just love scotch eggs and its quite upsetting to me that I no longer eat them and then recently I decided to try and make a paleo version. You will be pleased to know that my attempts were successful and passed the ‘Dad Test’ i.e. my Dad happily scoffed one down!
4 x boiled eggs
400g Sausages or Sausage meat (breadcrumb free) (about 6 sausages)
1 x beaten egg
1 cup (80g) almond flour
1 cup (80g) coconut flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Black pepper to taste
- Boil your eggs first and peel them ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- If you are using sausages, as opposed to sausage meat, then cut the skins and squeeze out the sausage meat. Split the meat into four equal lumps.
- Take each sausage ball out of the bag and coat in the beaten egg with a pastry brush (or by dunking it) and roll it in the flour mixture. Once it has a good coating of the mixture place it in a baking tray.
- Once all the scotch eggs are made, put in the oven for about 30 minutes or until they are golden brown and look cooked.
Enjoy hot or cold!
Note: I did have quite a lot of the flour left over so I used it in another recipe but you could just scale down the measurements or make more scotch eggs!